Tuesday, February 23, 2016

One More Thing About Cheha.


There’s one more thing I wanted to write about the FH/E project in Cheha before I move on to a new topic. I mentioned earlier that veterinary services were part of the program there – the people in that region were known as herders who relied on their cattle both as a food source and for working in the fields. To keep the animals healthy, it was essential to vaccinate them against malaria and trypanosomosis, diseases spread by the tse-tse fly that could weaken cattle, reduce milk production, and eventually lead to death.

These photos weren't taken in Cheha, but they give you a good idea of what the local cattle looked like and how they were used -- in this case, threshing teff to separate the grain from the chaff.



The head of the veterinary service for the Cheha project was Dr. Noda, a Japanese veterinarian – or should I say, The Japanese Veterinarian, because he was a legend. There weren’t a ton of Japanese people in the country so he kind of stood out anyway. And, since he spent most of his time down country, his Amharic was better than his English – which earned him the love and respect of his Ethiopian colleagues. We were in awe.

At least on the rare occasions that we were in Cheha, Dr. Noda worked long hours, and that combined with the language barrier prevented us from getting to know him or hearing his story. But, as I was searching the internet for information about Cheha a few months ago, I came across a 1995 Japanese-language interview with him, which I am happy to reproduce here. It’s worth noting that the president of Food for the Hungry International at the time was a Japanese gentleman, Dr. Tetsunao “Ted” Yamamori, and the organization has always had strong support from Japan.

*****

´WE BRING THE GOSPEL MESSAGE OF HOPE AND EMPOWERMENT´
Japan, December 12 1995

Japanese Catholic veterinarian Hiromasa Noda works for Food for the Hungry (FH) in Ethiopia. Cheha Wenchi district, where he is stationed, has 34 villages, and residents´ primary occupation is livestock farming. This interview, which he gave in November while visiting Tokyo on a fund-raising and awareness campaign, appeared in the Dec. 8 issue of ASIA FOCUS.

ASIA FOCUS: What is FH and its role and objective in Ethiopia?
HIROMASA NODA: In existence 22 years, FH is a joint venture of Churches of Canada, Japan, Korea, Norway, the United Kingdom and the United States which identifies countries stricken by famine or drought and addresses their needs. In Ethiopia, a major famine in 1984 resulted in approximately a million deaths by hunger and starvation. FH was initially involved in relief, organizing and distributing food to meet desperate needs of starving millions. Six months later, as conditions eased somewhat, it saw its long-term role and objectives change. FH is now involved in rehabilitative relief projects in drought-stricken areas including road construction, soil conservation, forestation, community-based health care and water resource projects. All FH projects are interactive and grassroots, employing skills and efforts of the local community.

AF: How did your life lead you to Ethiopia?
HN: As a high school student, I was interested in electronics and wished to become an electronics engineer. With time, however, the urge to communicate with people combined with my love for animals led me to veterinary medicine. I also became more involved with the Catholic Church as a youth leader. We organized a three-day youth convention at Nagasaki to broaden the scope of communication with people in Asian and African countries. Our youth organization began fund raising for African countries. I was later selected to establish contact with Africa. This led to my first visit to Ethiopia. I was deeply affected by the plight of Ethiopians and decided to devote myself full time to addressing their needs. In 1985, I graduated as a veterinary physician and after a stint in Nagasaki to gain experience, I enlisted as a Japanese Overseas Cooperation Volunteer (JOCV) and was assigned to Ethiopia.

AF: What led to your association with FH?
HN: My work with JOCV in Ethiopia in 1988-1990 was primarily administrative and mainly in the capital, Addis Ababa. I had no contact with people at the grassroots level, whom I really wished to work with. More importantly, JOCV, being a governmental organization, did not have the faith commitment which was vital to me. At that point providence intervened. I met a Protestant Japanese university colleague, an FH member involved with grassroots work in poverty-stricken areas. FH needed someone specialized in veterinary science to assist farmers with the overwhelming problem of livestock disease. I saw the opportunity to combine my expertise, work within a community and, mainly, the chance to live my faith through action. I thanked God for this heaven-sent opportunity and joined FH in 1991.

AF: What does your work with FH involve?
HN: Since 1991 I have been involved with the animal health project in Cheha Wenchi district, a region with hills and valleys and 34 villages, each with approximately 200 households. Their only wealth and chief source of livelihood is three or four cattle per household. Cheha Wenchi is infested with tsetse flies. The cattle have high incidence of death by protozoic malaria. Starting by teaching basic animal healthcare awareness, through FH offices and funding I established a clinic staffed by a team of myself and four Ethiopians -- a veterinary assistant, veterinary technician and two other workers. The clinic responds to a wide range of animal health concerns. Most of my effort is training my team, which I hope in two years will become independent.

AF: How is funding raised for your project?
HN: My project is funded primarily through Japanese offices of FH. Monies are raised through funding drives in local Catholic and Protestant parishes, civic organizations such as Rotary and Lions clubs, and individuals. In fund-raising and awareness campaigns, I use lectures, photos, and slide shows. Donors and potential donors are updated on my work in Ethiopia and use of their contributions through periodic newsletters. Due to lack of knowledge and difficulty associating with the African situation, let alone that of Ethiopia, Japanese were initially wary of responding to funding campaigns. But gradually this was overcome. Shocked by the grave situation, they responded generously. International events like World Food Day enhance awareness of the situation in Africa, specifically Ethiopia.

AF: Is your faith a main support in Ethiopia?
HN: My faith and total reliance on God has always been an integral part of my life and work. In a country where explicit preaching of the Gospel is forbidden, it is a blessing that I can live the message through my actions. I feel my faith sustains my existence in Ethiopia and I am a de facto missionary. May I also add that God has blessed me with the opportunity to live with and learn from a simple and beautiful people.

AF: What are your hopes for the future?
HN: My goal and that of FH is to work toward helping people help themselves.
The wealth of Ethiopia´s 55 million people lies in its 30 million cattle. In a country perpetually besieged by drought and famine, we believe we bring the Gospel message of hope and empowerment through knowledge. My hope is that in the not-too-distant future, Ethiopians will establish private clinics funded (from within the country) and staffed by people who are the product of their own educational institutions. When my goal in Cheha Wenchi is achieved, I hope to move on to where the Lord calls me next, to a project where my services can best be utilized.

Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment